How "Holy" Is Sunday In The Bible?
Let's look at some Biblical facts about Sunday... (grin)
1) The very first thing recorded in the Bible is work done on Sunday,
the first day of the week. It was done by the Creator Himself. If
God worked on this day, how can it be wicked for us to work on
Sunday? ..is it wrong to obey God?
2) God commands men to work upon the first day of the week. (Exo 20:8-11)
3) None of the patriarchs ever kept it.
4) None of the holy prophets ever kept it.
5) By express command of God, his holy people used the first day of the
week as a common working day for at least 4,000 years.
6) God Himself calls it a "working day." (Eze 46:1)
7) God did not rest upon it.
8) He never blessed it.
9) Christ did not rest upon it.
10) Jesus was a carpenter, and worked at his trade until he was 30 years
old. He kept the Sabbath and worked 6 days in the week, as all admit.
Hence, He did a hard day's work Sunday. (Mark 6:3)
11) The apostles worked upon it during the same time.
12) The apostles never rested upon it.
13) Christ never blessed it.
14) It has never been blessed by any DIVINE authority.
15) It has never been sanctified.
16) No law was ever given to enforce the keeping of it, hence it was no
transgression to work upon it. "Where no law is, there is no
transgression." (Romans 4:15)
17) The New Testament nowhere forbids work to be done on it.
18) No penalty is proivded for its violation.
19) No blessing is promised in observance.
20) No regulation is given as to how it should be observed.
21) It is never called the Christian Sabbath.
22) It is never called the Sabbath Day at all.
23) It is never called the Lord's Day.
24) It is never even called a rest day.
25) No sacred title whatever is applied to it. Then why should -we- call
26) It was simple called "first day of the week."
27) Jesus never mentioned it in any way, never took its name upon his lips,
so far as the record shows.
28) The word "Sunday" never occurs in the Bible at all.
29) Neither God, Christ, nor inspired men ever said one word in favor of
Sunday as a holy day.
30) The first day of the week is mentioned only 8 times in all the new
testament. (Mat 28:1. Mar 16:2,9. Luk 24:1. Joh 20:1,19. Act 20:7.
I Cor 16:2)
31) Six of these texts refer to the same as the first day of the week.
32) Paul directed the saints to look over their secular affairs on that
day. (I Cor 16:2)
33) In all the New Testament we have a record of only one religious meeting
held upon that day, and even this was a night meeting... ie Saturday
night. (Acts 20:5-12; See Genesis 1:5,8,13,19,23,31 The dark part of
the day always preceeded the light part of the day!! A dayended at
sundown. Accordingly, this meeting was held in the dark part of
Sunday, on what we now call Saturday night.)
34) There is now an intimation that they ever held a meething upon it
before or after that.
35) It was not their custom to meet on that day.
36) There was no requirement to break bread on that day.
37) We have an account of only one instance in which it was done.
(Acts 20:7 But Acts 2:46 says the broke bread daily! Notice
also: Acts 20:7 mentions nothing about wine, so that must not have
held a full communion service!)
38) Jesus celebrated it on Thursday evening ( Luke 22 ), never on Sunday.
39) The Bible nowhere says that the first day of the week commerates the
resurrection of Christ. Baptism commerates the burial and
resurrection of Jesus. (Rom 6:3-5)
40) Finally, the new testament is totally silent with regard to any
change of the Sabbath Day or any sacredness for the first day.
Well.. you get the point, 40 facts concerning Sunday, the day the Bible
refers to as "the first day of the week."
So I guess now the question we need to ask is, "If the Bible never
authorized Sunday as the weekly day of Worhship... who did?"
Before we look at that review those 40 points, don't browse them.
Also you should be verifying everything that is said (here or
otherwise) about God's holy word. There could be a misquote, a
typo, or a flat out lie, or a slight twisted truth. DOUBLE CHECK
EVERYTHING IN CONTEXT FOR YOURSELF. DON'T RELY SOLELY ON THIS
KIND OF MATERIAL FOR YOUR INFORMATION... LET IT GUIDE YOU TO YOUR
BIBLE AND YOU DO THE RESEARCH.
If you're going to believe and udnerstand Jesus Christ, you have to
spend time in his Word. And Realize that the Bible is The Inspired
Word Of God. God's Word is Truth, it is as eternal as God Himself.
Accordingly, whoever turns against God's Word commits a grievous error....
(..and that's the perfect opening to:)